I was going through some blocks I made for the Grandmother's Choice: Votes for Women weekly sew along and came across two blocks that didn't fit the requirement of 8.5 inch square. They both came out short. I did the blocks again and my second attemps came out fine. They are the blocks from week ten (Block No. 10) and week one (Block No. 1)
I used these first attempts (now orphan blocks) to make mug rugs. Mug rugs are a great way for me to practice my hand quilting and my binding. My binding and my quilting are improving with the practice.
The teapot was a block a made in the 90's when I wanted to work on my broderie perse.
For Broderie Perse, one cuts out motifs from a large print fabric and then appliques that motif to a background fabric. Here I cut out this spray of flowers and leaves with a quarter inch all around and appliqued it (using needle turn) on to the teapot. The pot was then appliqued onto the pale background which was in turn appliqued onto the beige. Now this made a fine mug rug or perhaps a small table topper. It was quick. I used up an orphan block. I practiced my skills. I have a nice table topper/mug rug to either give as a gift or keep for myself. It will find a use.
I continue to use up my stash of fabrics and continue to make do. I would love to hear from any other quilters who are getting into their UFO's and stash and making do with what they have.